Stop Writing for Readers. Write for Scanners
STOP WRITING FOR READERS. WRITE FOR SCANNERS
RESEARCH SHOWS THAT VISITORS READ LESS THAN 20% OF A WEB PAGE
AND THAT THEY DON'T READ. THEY JUST SCAN
THEY ALWAYS SCAN IN A HURRY TO FIND THE PIECE OF INFORMATION THEY ARE LOOKING FOR
THE RELY ON KEYWORDS, HEADINGS, LISTS AND iMAGES TO HELP THEM SCAN
PUTTING UNSCANNABLE CONTENT KILLS USERS' ATTENTION AND LEAD THEM TO LEAVE
HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP THEM SCAN AND GET WHAT THEY NEED QUICKLY
- Stop fighting the reality thinking that people read, they don't!
- Spoil your main point as early as possible and forget about building mystery!
- Use keywords, headings, lists, icons and images to help people scan
- Structure your content in which the important informations stand out
- Be straight to the point. AKA stop wasting users' time
YOU ARE NOT WRITING FOR READERS. YOU ARE WRITING FOR SCANNERS