Employed vs. Freelance
Employment vs. Freelance
Which one do I choose?
Especially now in the Covid-era, when most people work from home (but it's a dilemma that designers were faced with for ages!), we face these 2 questions:
- Do I apply for a job?
- Do I go freelance?
The paradox of life
A career decision is just like any decision we make in life. Whatever we choose, we win some and lose some. So, before we decide we need to accept and embrace that:
Any choice we make has both positives and negatives.
- Freedom of project choice
- More power over business & design decision-making
- Location independence
- Work hours flexibility
- Higher potential income
- Diversity (projects, people)
- No colleagues to bond with and the lack of being part of a team
- Constant work is not guaranteed - you have to find projects
- You have to be the accountant, sales person, marketer & designer
- Lower predictability and a lower sense of security
- Work community & being part of a team (you learn a lot!)
- A regular salary
- Work perks: travelling, insurance, pension schemes, education, group activities & so on
- Stability and predictability
- Less freedom and autonomy over projects
- Low decision-making power
- Potential high bureaucracy (approvals often needed)
- Not much room for creativity
- Lower speed and productivity
Which one did you choose so far? or which one are you considering and why?
A lot of UX love